Thursday, 20 August 2015

Busybody: The other adaptations


I think the students were mostly very conscientiously worried about the "low" quality of their adaptations (as indeed I was when I did the module), but I as I pointed out to them - a first effort is never perfect and the whole point of the planning and making a film module is to make all the mistakes in order to insure you become a more competent filmmaker later on.

This post presents some of the additional adaptations that were produced from my Busybody script that I submitted for the Planning and Making a Film module that I undertook in the penultimate year of my BA (Hons). The module's practice was undertaken from October 2011 to June 2012 and it provided me with a hugely enriching experience. For a more detailed overview of the module and the projects I undertook as a part of it, see Planning and Making a Film: The student filmmaking experience.

The following adaptations were made by the following year's students as their practice films for the module.

Together with the team who produced the first adaptation of Busybody, I was invited to the screening session for the following year's students and it was a hugely enjoyable experience, I got a real thrill from seeing my original script twisted and turned in so many different ways.

Some notes I made from the following year's screening session. Photo: Day 338 of my 366 Project.


During the Q&A after the screenings, I think the students were mostly very conscientiously worried about the "low" quality of their adaptations (as indeed I was when I did the module), but I as I pointed out to them - a first effort is never perfect and the whole point of the planning and making a film module is to make all the mistakes in order to insure you become a more competent filmmaker later on.

There were eight versions of Busybody produced by the following year's students and I think there was one which did not quite work out, but I have been unable to locate them all online, so what follows are all the versions I could track down (for now)...


Uploaded onto YouTube by Tdiddingly


Uploaded onto YouTube by Kingt34


This version was directed by George Oram who connected with me after I mentioned that I needed help on a few projects in the screening session. I have since worked with on Remember ThisThe Miracle of Crowdfunding and Breaking Cinema.


That's it. 

However, you can read more about the making of all the following year's adaptations on the blog for their module.

I did toy with the idea of making my own definitive version of Busybody, based upon the second draft of the script I had knocking around in my head, but I think the Busybody story has well and truly been hacked to death know. However, I do have a habit of changing my mind, so we will see.

If you would like to know how I originally developed the Busybody story, then you can do so by have a look at Developing a Script, Part 3: Submission - Busybody


or 


if you would like to learn what I thought about the very first adaptation of Busybody, you can do so by reading The first adaptation: Busybody



or


Post a Comment