Friday, 2 December 2011

Where will it all stop - Editing Session #2 and Beyond...


This summary post was originally written for a practical exercise undertaken in the Planning and Making a Film module I undertook in the penultimate year of my BA (Hons). The module's practice was undertaken between October 2011 to June 2012 and it provided me with a hugely enriching experience. For a more detailed overview of the module and the projects I undertook as a part of it, see Planning and Making a Film: The student filmmaking experience.


28/11/2011

The other group (Sanne, Tom, Danny and Flo), from the second half of production, were having trouble with logging and capturing their footage. Therefore, we were still not able to start editing our cut of their footage, so we used this session to tighten up what we had already done.

Other than offering the occasional creative suggestion, the only real contribution I made was fixing the shots I had messed up. This I did once Emily (editor) and Jenny (director) had finished what they were doing; I spent about an hour and a half doing this.

As I have already said in a previous post there were some issues with exposure, focus and framing. However, the only one that was in desperate need of fixing was the exposure. This involved brightening a few of the shots; this would have been better to do before Jenny and Emily started editing, because I would have been able to fix the shots as a whole and not as separate cuts. However, I looked on YouTube for a tutorial video to help me in this respect and this one proved to do the job.

However, once I had brightened them, the problem I then found was that it then de-colourised the shots and made them look like they had a faint smog across them. Therefore, I then had to put some colour back into the shots, and this tutorial video helped in that respect. While the these shots now look a lot better they are still far from perfect and I need to be shown how to properly use colour correction.


29/11/2011

As Jenny couldn’t make this day, Emily came in to edit a rough cut of the other group’s footage on her own. I briefly dropped by to see how she was doing and if she needed anything. She said that the fact that the other group had broken the 180 degree rule made the assembling of shots quite confusing. However, this was her only qualm and she said she didn’t need anything, so I left her to it. I understand from Jenny that Emily produced quite a good rough cut that day.


01/12/2011 & 02/12/2011

I know also that Emily and Jenny came in on the Thursday and Friday to finish the overall cut. I didn’t attend these sessions because there were not any shots that needed fixing. I understand that they have completed a final cut, but if this includes a music soundtrack I do not know.


On Monday 5th December all the members of the Planning and Making a Film module will sit down to review the many versions of Where will it all stop. Then I will get to see what the entirety of our first short film looks like; I am excited by and dreading this prospect. 



Post a Comment